According to MedlinePlus, around 12 percent of the U.S. population suffers from migraines. Many more people experience occasional headaches that affect their daily activities. Seeking out a chiropractor for migraines or frequent headaches can help you alleviate some of the effects from this condition. Many people see dramatic improvements after receiving chiropractic care.
At Advanced Back & Neck Care in Chandler, Arizona, we carefully work with each patient to determine a path of treatment that’s best for his or her unique situation.
What Causes Migraines and Headaches?
It’s not always easy to figure out why you’re getting migraines. Here are some common causes of frequent headaches:
- Many women experience them with hormonal changes, either throughout their monthly cycles or as they start to enter menopause.
- Environmental factors like bright light, strong scents, or cigarette smoke can bring on migraines.
- People also get migraines or headaches from certain foods or food additives. Salty foods, artificial sweeteners, and foods with MSG are often the culprit.
- Dehydration frequently causes headaches.
- Stress, however, is probably one of the biggest causes of headaches and migraines. People who are stressed tend to tense their muscles – particularly the muscles around the neck and shoulders. If you’re feeling stressed, you might also clench your jaw without realizing it. Tense muscles put your body out of alignment.
A good chiropractor can put your body in a better position. Chiropractic care is particularly helpful for those who experience headaches and migraines from stress.
How Headache Chiropractic Care from Advanced Back & Neck Can Help
The Migraine Treatment Centers of America states that headaches are the one of the most common reasons that people seek out chiropractic care.
Spinal adjustments can reduce the frequency of your headaches or at least reduce the level of pain, especially when done on a regular basis.
During a visit to our office, our professional chiropractors will perform a few tests to check the alignment of your body. After discovering the areas that are not in alignment, your chiropractor will make “adjustments.” This involves twisting and stretching the body to move bones back into alignment. You’ll often hear a popping sound. That’s just air releasing from the joints and is nothing to be concerned about. Most people find their experience at our offices to be relaxing.
After your adjustment, you may feel great. It’s also not uncommon to feel a bit “off” as your body adjusts to proper alignment. If for some reason your pain level increases, it’s important to let your chiropractor know.
A Full Treatment Plan for Migraines and Headaches
When you visit our chiropractic office, you’ll receive a treatment plan that’s designed with your needs in mind. A single visit alone won’t get rid of your problem. In most cases, those who suffer from headaches and migraines start their treatment with once- or twice-a-week spinal adjustments. At each visit, your chiropractor will ask questions to assess how well the last treatment worked. He or she may repeat the same treatment or may make adjustments to improve efficiency.
As your pain starts to fade, patients only need to come for adjustments once or twice a month. Some patients are even able to stop seeing a chiropractor for headaches altogether. Treatment takes time, but it’s effective in most situations.
More Than an Adjustment – What You Can Do From Home
In addition to the adjustments you receive in the office, you’ll also want to incorporate other lifestyle techniques you’ve learned to reduce the frequency of your migraines. These treatments might include:
- Paying attention to your diet
- Reducing stress through meditation or yoga
- Avoiding anything that triggers a migraine.
- If your doctor has prescribed medication, you can continue to take it.
- Our chiropractors will also give you tips for stretches and posture that will help keep your headaches at bay while going about your day. When you take care of your body in this way, you’re less likely to suffer.
Migraine and Headache Help Is Just a Phone Call Away with Advanced Back and Neck in Arizona
You could soon be on the path to a pain-free life. Contact Advanced Back & Neck Care today to schedule your first appointment. You can call 480-814-7115 or request an appointment through the contact page on our website. We’re open six days a week, and many of our patients use their health insurance coverage to pay for treatments.